The haycop was mentioned as early as the 15th century, taking its name from the enclosed piece (hay) of rough coppice (cop) - then it was recorderd as a gradual inclined field, but around 1760 deep coal mining was commenced and lasted for a hudred years although the haycop weighing machone continued to be used until at least 1890.
Broseleys water shortage in the 1800s led to the Broseley local district board establishing a new water supply. In 1881 a shaft was sunk on the haycop within the natural rock fault, water was found and tested for purity.
On the 4th March 1885 a meeting of the Broseley local district board was held where the land owner General Jenkins agreed to sell the site to the board for the sum of ten pounds.
Work started on the construction of the well which can be found at the dark lane end of the Haycop today, having been fully restored.
Since the 1920s the Haycop has been in the ownership of Mr Deryk Roberts of Coneybury farm, who used the area for light grazing until 2000. Prior to this time Mr Roberts Great Grandfather grazed pit ponies here in the 1800s.
Mr Roberts was approached in 2007, with a view to allowing the conservation and restoration of the site. A committee was formed and over the last few years the Haycop has been transformed into a diverse nature reserve.